John Brickwood became a man of increasing influence (for example, as leader of the national Country Brewers' Society), was knighted in 1904, and made a baronet in 1927. During this time he commissioned genealogical research into the family history, which led to the creation of at least three family trees.
In the years before the First World War Brickwoods expanded the bottled
beer department and opened a new mineral water factory. By 1914 there were
only four breweries operational in Portsmouth, with Brickwoods having 333
public house licences - some 46% of the total number of tied houses owned
by Portsmouth breweries. Brickwoods had spread west into the nearby port
of Southampton and south on to the Isle of Wight. They also leased an
off-licence in Fulham, south-west London, from 1890 to 1916. Sir John's
nephew Harry, who was a Lieutenant in Navy Intelligence during the war,
became a Director. Harry also had an interest in sailing, being one of the
founders of the Victory Class.
CLICK ON THE PICTURE BUTTON LEFT, "THE 'KING AND QUEEN' AND THE 'SHIP ANSON' IN 1970", FOR PICTURES OF THESE PUBS IN 1928 AND 1998.
The company continued to grow in the post war years and was the leading brewery in the county of Hampshire by 1930. Sir John Brickwood died in February 1932 being succeeded as Chairman by Harry, who presided over the merger with Long's - the third largest brewery in Portsmouth - in 1933.
To read more about the life of Sir John Brickwood, follow this link:
Use NEXT button to read about Brewery history from 1933 to the present.